Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How you feelin'? hot, hot, hot

Gotta love it when you can sneak in a line from Buster Poindexter! ...and did you know that song cam out in 1987? Where were you? As for being somewhere...as a life long New England, it's weeks like this one that remind me how much I enjoy winter. Give me pack-boots and a good toque over a steamy 95 degree day with 95 percent humidity any time.

As Silver Linings mentioned with the photos of that fuzzy faced dog...it's good to learn something new every day. Yesterday I learned that felling trees is an activity best left for a cooler day. After dropping 4 trees, I was toast. And just so you know that life has it's own plans. I had cut the proper notch in one of the trees, started the back cut. (now...this certain tree was right next to my pond, so the goal was to drop the tree away from the pond...or so one would think.) As life would have it, the tree dropped in the exact opposite direction of where I had planned. I was able to pull it out at the other side of the pond about 30 minutes later, after it drifted across. The other 3 tress cooperated very nicely.

I've been dropping old trees to get ready for next winter. If you've ever brought in your own firewood you know why the old saying is, "firewood keeps you warm at least three times. Once when you cut it, once when you stack it, and once when you burn it."

And speaking of firewood, it's time to go home and finish cutting those freshly dropped trees into lengths that I can carry out of the woods.

The June heat wave ends tonight....enjoy the thunderstorms and be careful with the high winds.

No comments: