Wednesday, January 14, 2009



"Cold, schmold. Put on another sweater."

OK, so I'm channeling my mother here, but whenever I see a chilly forecast (in Vermont! In January! Go figure!) my parents' voices echo in my ears. ("Don't you touch that thermostat, young man!")

Truth is, it IS going to be a bit nippy on the mountain the next few days. Old Man Winter is flexing his muscles and showing us what he can do when he puts his mind to it, and the upcoming cold temperatures plus a bit of a breeze (yes, I'm being euphemistic) does mean that bundling up nice and tight is in order.

There's an old saying that there's no such thing as bad weather; only bad clothing. I don't know if that's completely true, but certainly, now is probably not the time to rock the Jets hoodie and the Wrangler jeans. (I'm talking to you, Brett Favre.) Remember to dress appropriately, (warning warning warning shameless marketing plug approaching) visit the Okemo Snowsports Shop for a great selection of handwarmers, bootwarmers and (my personal fave) face and neck gaiters and masks, and you'll be just fine. Besides, that's what Okemo's world-famous hot cocoa is for, right? Warming up after a few great runs on a 100% open mountain? Mmmm... Okemo hot cocoa... velvety chocolate goodness...

Besides, there's great news in these cold temperatures: in addition to the primo snowmaking and grooming days this cold front is providing us, the temps are going to rise significantly starting Saturday morning... just in time for a heck of a nice MLK weekend. See? Old Man Winter's not so mean after all.

No comments: